eve-olution

Skip to content

  • ...the question is not 'why' but 'why not?'

Main Menu

Welcome to evesdropping...

My name is Tracey Carr, and I run eve-olution and Gender IQ to advance women in business. My blog is an insider's view of the lives of working women, including my own, revealing the top secrets to success.

Tuesday 13 January 2009

F.E.A.R

What is fear? False Evidence Appearing Real

What are you worrying about unnecessarily? What are you projecting into the future and making yourself scared about? We are all facing a time of enormous uncertainty but that isn’t the real problem. Many years ago when I did my Scuba Diving training, off Bondi Beach in Sydney, I was scared….scared of Sharks, scared of Moray Eels, scared of not being able to breath. But the truth is ….I had never been in deep water in my life. In my fearful state I asked my dive instructor what was the cause of most fatal casualties in Diving and he said ‘people panic. It’s not the Shark that kills them but the panic they go into when they see one’

This lesson has stayed with me and is reinforced with every high risk activity that I undertake. Mountaineering and scrambling are another example of how important it is to master your own mind. When I am 3,000ft up in the air on a tiny ledge, the biggest danger to my safety is me and whether or not I can control my mind enough to stay calm enough to take the next step.

Business is a high risk activity. The days of certainty are over and everybody needs to have an entrepeneurial spirit to navigate the rapid changes that surround us. That means having a clear head, a strong sense of direction and leadership and belief not doubt. It is too easy to be hypnotised by the media’s doom and gloom and become stagnant waiting for calm or fighting for things to get back to normal.

Now is the time to take control of your mind and lead not follow. Remember that you will miss a full 100% of the shots that you don’t take.

With passion

posted by Tracey Carr at

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Guildford

International Professional Speaker, Peak Performance Coach. Tracey has a passion for advancing women in the workplace. Tracey ran her first Seminar for Women Leaders in 2001 and has helped thousands of women around the world with their careers, dreams and aspirations. Working with hundreds of FTSE 100 and Fortune 500 companies who are keen to advance women in enterprise, Tracey's seminars and initiatives have been enthusiastically received on 3 continents. She continues to push for radical change in corporations and backs up her respected and sometimes controversial opinions with her ongoing research. Tracey is currently writing a book that will address gender, power, and politics for women in the workplace and at home. Tracey is available for key-note talks, conferences and forums.

Powered by Blogger
Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]